Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
Scroll down to view recipe
Serving Portions: 1
- For Caramelized Onions
- 4 Onions, large, halved and sliced into strips
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Tbsp Salt
- For Grilled Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Best Foods Real Vegetarian Mayonnaise
- 4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 Tbsp Caramelized Onions, prepared above
- 10 g Thyme Sprigs, fresh
- 20 g Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 20 g Colman's Mustard Sauce
- 20 g Fresh Tomato Slices
- 20 g Shredded Cabbage
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add in Onions and 1 tbsp Olive oil. Cook for 1 minute until heated through, then turn the heat down to low and add in 1/4 cup water, remaining Olive Oil, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- The Onions will go from White to translucent, and finally will begin to turn golden brown. If the Onions are looking dry, add 1-2 additional tbsp of water, as necessary. Once Onions have reached a nice medium golden brown color, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. They can be stored for up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread Mayonnaise over both slices of bread, then spread Mustard Sauce over the opposite side of one of the slices.
- Place both slices, Mayonnaise side down, onto skillet. Dollop the Mustard on a slice of bread with Caramelized Onions and sprinkle on a few leaves of fresh Thyme. Carefully place grated Gruyere over the other slice. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until Cheese is melted completely. Press Sandwich together and serve with sliced Tomatoes and Shredded Cabbage.